Saturday, November 24, 2012

Speaking of the beautiful sea, the sand is white here, and the water is deep crystal turquoise. The sun glistens on the water like yellow disco lights and even the things that wash up on the shore are pretty, like thick pieces of driftwood that's light, like cork. I have a whole bunch of it. I even made a cross out of 4 pieces of it, connected it all together with caulk, then painted a fish on each piece, like they're swimming in 4 different directions, north, south, east, and west. It hangs on my wall and it's all natural and drifty looking. Last year I made a cross out of palm fronds, it was all wispy and crinkly.
We get to the beach via bus. It's only a few miles away, but it's too far to walk. The bus takes you to the beach trolley (really just another bus, but done up like a street car), which then takes you to the island. I've noticed I really don't prefer the beach in the summer, mainly because of all the umbrellas the hotels put out that you're supposed to be a guest of in order to sit underneath one (it has 2 chairs with it) so you're left out all alone to fend for yourself, and walk and walk and walk till all the people fade away and you have to find a  spot down at the end, where the jellyfish also congregate and just wait for you to step on them. I'm just making that up. I don't think the jellyfish really mean to wash up and sting you.
So David & I have determined that we're not summer beach people. Another reason I don't like it is because last time we were laying out on the sand, a girl came along and laid down right next to him and proceeded to take off her bikini top, and although she was laying on her stomach you could still tell she was perfect, and it really sucked, but my loving husband played like he didn't even see her. Then after a few minutes he said, come on baby, let's find a better spot. He continues to win my heart day in and day out in so many different ways I can't keep up with them all.
I'm having some health issues again. Is that news? Or did everyone expect that anyway, and I'm the last to know that it wasn't over? That in reality, it had only just begun?